Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Running is hard!

I weighed myself last Thursday. I really didn't want to but I just had to know how much weight I've gained. I've been in denial but since my "fat jeans" (the jeans that I used to be able to take of without unbuttoning) have gotten too tight I realize that it's time to suck it up and do something about it. I'm officially 7 pounds away from being as heavy as I was when I left the hospital after Ashton was born. That was after I gained 50+ pounds while pregnant. Yes, after hovering around 175-180 for almost 5 years I am now up to 206. After I lost my pregnancy weight I swore that I would never see a 2 at the beginning of my weight again. Now it's happened. I look in the mirror and think "if I was a little embryo would I want to implant into this body?". No, I wouldn't.

So what do I do about it? I suck at dieting. I love the South Beach diet and can follow it pretty well but it gets expensive and money is already tight. I find myself cheating at Weight Watchers after just a few weeks. I can do Slim Fast but it's nice to be able to actually eat food now and then. Diets aren't really good for you anyway. Don't "they" say that if you just diet until you lose weight and then go back to eating like you used to you'll just gain all the weight back? So no diets for me. I'm going to actually try to change my eating and exercise habits.

Here's my plan:
  • cut back on sugary snacks
  • quit drinking Caffeine Free Diet Coke and start drinking more water
  • start eating more fruits and veggies (this means I'll actually have to buy them)
  • quit eating fast food so often and pick healthy foods when I do eat fast food
  • get my jiggly butt moving everyday, even if it's just a walk around the block
  • make use of the many workout DVDs and On Demand workouts I have at my disposal

    I have been thinking of trying the Couch to 5K plan and actually gave the week one workout a try this morning. Surprisingly I did ok but I'm not sure that my treadmill will hold up to it though so I might have to modify that plan. I'd love to become one of those crazies that actually loves working out and running but I have a feeling that's going to take some time.
  • 1 comment:

    1. Good luck with the weight loss, Rachel. I'm right around your numbers too and I haven't had a child, so it's huge wake up call for me! Since they found my cyst, they told me to stay away from bouncing up and down (working out), so I've stayed away from the gym and now have an extra 10 pounds befriending my rear end. UGH.

      ReplyDelete